Paris - Ashleigh Barty remains the world No 1 for another week, according to the latest WTA Tour rankings released on Monday, but the Australian faces a tough battle in Wuhan if she is to stay on top.
Barty heads into her first round match against Caroline Garcia at the Wuhan Open with a 321-point lead over Karolina Pliskova in the rankings.
The 27-year-old Pliskova is in form having won in Zhengzhou earlier this month, unlike Barty who has struggled since her outstanding start to the season when she won the French Open and in Birmingham.
Barty has held the No 1 spot since the beginning of September having also occupied it in July and August.
Pliskova of the Czech Republic has not reached number one since summer 2017.
There were no changes in the top 10.
Top 20 in the latest WTA Tour rankings:
1. Ashleigh Barty (AUS) 6,446
2. Karolina Pliskova (CZE) 6,125
3. Elina Svitolina (UKR) 5,160
4. Naomi Osaka (JPN) 5,011
5. Bianca Andreescu (CAN) 4,835
6. Simona Halep (ROU) 4,803
7. Petra Kvitova (CZE) 4,326
8. Kiki Bertens (NED) 4,225
9. Serena Williams (USA) 3,935
10. Belinda Bencic (SUI) 3,738
11. Johanna Konta (GBR) 3,073
12. Angelique Kerber (GER) 2,835
13. Madison Keys (USA) 2,827
14. Aryna Sabalenka (BLR) 2,785
15. Sloane Stephens (USA) 2,769
16. Qiang Wang (CHN) 2,668
17. Sofia Kenin (USA) 2,630
18. Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) 2,597
19. Anastasija Sevastova (LAT) 2,517
20. Anett Kontaveit (EST) 2,500