Fri, 29 Oct 2021

Western Sydney man gets 3 years in prison for child abuse offenses

By Jay Jackson, Sydney News.Net
10 Oct 2021, 14:41 GMT+10

SYDNEY, NSW, Australia - A 46-year-old Western Sydney man who pleaded guilty to accessing, possessing, controlling, and or transmitting child abuse material, including videos of children being tortured and sexually abused, has been jailed for 3 years.

The man was arrested in September last year and has been in custody since.

He pleaded guilty to three charges in June this year and was charged with two more offences. He was sentenced on Friday at Parramatta District Court, in Western Sydney.

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) Eastern Command Child Protection Operations (CPO) team began investigating the man's activities after the AFP-led Australian Centre to Counter Child Exploitation (ACCCE) provided a report about an online user obtaining videos of children being tortured and sexually abused.

He was charged on 1 September 2020 after investigators executed a search warrant at his home in the Sydney suburb of Fairfield. Police seized several electronic devices that were found to contain photos and videos of children being sexually abused.

The man was refused bail at the time of his arrest and has remained in custody since.

He will be eligible for release on a four-year recognisance order from 1 July 2022.

"The Government recently passed important new legislation empowering police to take down dark web paedophile rings," Federal Minister for Home Affairs Karen Andrews said Sunday.

"We also allocated $59.9 million for the AFP in the Federal Budget, allowing it to further invest in new frontline operational activities and protect children. The Morrison Government will continue to give our police the power and resources they need to keep our kids safe and bring offenders to justice," she said.

AFP Detective Sergeant Jarryd Dunbar said every view and share of child abuse material on a device feeds an industry operating on the most unimaginable acts of cruelty and abuse inflicted on children.

"There is no cause greater for our officers than ensuring the safety of the most vulnerable in our community," Det. Sgt Dunbar said Sunday.

"Our officers are driven to identifying and removing children in danger of further abuse and ensuring the people responsible for sustaining this horrific industry are brought to justice for their actions."

More Sydney News

Access More

Sign up for Sydney News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!